Friday, February 22, 2008

Did I mischaracterize Michelle Obama

via taking her words out of context in this blogpost?

Today's LAT covers Michelle:

"What I was clearly talking about was that I'm proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process," she said. "For the first time in my lifetime, I'm seeing people rolling up their sleeves in a way that I haven't seen and really trying to figure this out -- and that's the source of pride that I was talking about."

Michelle might be telling the truth, and simultaneously revealing a leftism she and Barack have been hiding from the crowds. Brietbart.com has video of one of the two times Michelle said: for the first time I am proud. This is the video transcript:

"What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something -- for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it's made me proud."

I'm looking hard at that transcript. If Michelle was talking about "political process", then this is what Michelle was saying:

This is the first time I've been proud of the political direction of the people of the United States. I have wanted to not feel so alone with my frustration and disappointment at the political direction of our nation.

Alone.
Frustrated.
Disappointed.
Not proud.

Very strong words to describe two Clinton Presidential terms + several instances when Democrats were the majority in both Houses of Congress. Michelle is screaming out, for anyone who will listen:

I am to the left of the Clinton White House!
I am to the left of a Democratic controlled Congress!


Therefore: did I take Michelle Obama's words out of context in my original blogpost?

I think: probably yes.

Michelle surely is proud that a middle class girl can rise to become a millionaire. It is pretty hard to tell this from listening to her America=negative speeches, but that is for another blogpost. Ah, what the heck. Hot Air:
Here’s every Michelle Obama speech from now until November in three sentences: Everything in America is wrong. Only Barack can fix it. Vote and be healed.
I probably did mischaracterize Michelle's words in my last blogpost. It's difficult to be certain, as I can't find anyone (including the Obama Campaign) who is making a fuller transcript of her words available, and therefore I cannot be certain of understanding her context.

The definitive news, if anyone cares to report it, is Michelle's open acknowledgment:

My politics are so far left that I felt alone, frustrated, disappointed, and not proud.
`
`

No comments: