Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hills on fire (but not in Waco)

Darleen Click:
31 years ago, August 29, 1967, I was 13 years old, living in Granada Hills and spending the night with my best friend, Patty. We were watching the last episode of The Fugitive and when we went out to her back yard we saw the hills above on fire. (She lived just north of Rinaldi, I lived just south of it). I, along with her whole family watched as a bright red glow behind the hills become a wall of flames that crested the hills and started marching down towards us.

That night, the winds shifted just before we had to evacuate, pushing the flames back into the path they had just burned and the fire fighters were able to get control of it.

The big difference between 1967 and 2008? Well, those hills I watched burn as a 13 year old are now covered in homes.

No comments: